Other ships named Prince of Wales or Repulse
Prince of Wales
This is a painting of the ship Prince of Wales from the First fleet, which transported convicts and settlers to Australia from Britain, between May 1787 and January 1778.
13 May 1787
First Fleet leaves Portsmouth, England for Botany Bay, the second harbour of what is now Sydney. The fleet consisted of the Navy ships 'H.M.S. Sirius' - Naval Flagship and 'H.M.S. Supply' - Armed naval Tender - the smallest & fastest ship of the fleet.
Convict transports: 'Alexander' carrying 195 male convicts, 'Lady Penryhn' carrying 101 female convicts, 'Scarborough' carrying 208 male convicts, 'Charlotte' which was carrying 88 male & 20 female convicts, 'Friendship' carrying 76 male & 21 female convicts, and Prince of Wales' carrying 1 male & 49 female convicts.
Plus three stores ships, 'Fishburn', 'Borrowdale', and 'Golden Grove'.
11 ships total.
The fleet was commissioned by Thomas Townshend, Baron Sydney, and under the overall command of Capt. Arthur Phillip, and carried instructions to establish a penal colony at or near Botany Bay. The navy ships carried the appointed officials and the marines who were expected to maintain order, while the transports carried between them some 750 souls, men and women, who were transported for varying periods, but for whom the voyage could hardly be anything but a one-way trip.
PRINCE OF WALES
- TRANSPORT, 340
MASON John Master
YOURGINSON Yorgan Seaman
HOSBORN Robert Seaman
MOORE Samuel Seaman
NELSON George Cook
PORTER James Boy
ALT-Augustus TH Surveyor
TIMINS Thomas 1st Lt Marines
SCOTT James Sgt Marines
SCOTT June Wife
SCOTT Elizabeth Child
NASH William Pte Marines
NASH Maria Wife (Nee Haynes - Convict sentenced to 7 years)
WRIGHT Henry Pte Marines
WRIGHT Ann Wife
WRIGHT Mary Ann Child
WHITTLE Thomas Dummer Marines
WHITTLE Elizabeth Wife
WHITTLE Thomas Child
IRVINE John - Assisted The Surgeon
HUGHES Francis Ann
14 Jul 1788
'Borrowdale', 'Alexander', 'Friendship' and 'Prince of Wales' sail for England.
Built at the Thames in 1786, the "Prince of Wales" operated in England until 1797 when her registration was transferred to Fort Royal, Martinique. Little is known about her after this.
A website about 18TH CENTURY MARITIME INFLUENCES ON BRITISH COLUMBIA PLACE NAMES carries the following details about a ship called Prince of Wales:
Rose Harbour, 1787 (Named by Johnstone) - after Mr. George Rose, M P. by Mr. James Johnstone, R.N. later master of H.M.S. Chatham, while on a trading cruise in Prince of Wales with Captain Calvert.
(This seems to clash with the dates of the First Fleet Prince of Wales above, so we're assuming that they are 2 separate vessels)
By Jack Coggins
The ship Protector was taken over by British frigates and some of its crew members were sent to the Jersey.
Also in the Wallabout Bay - other prison ships were afloat; Whitby, Scorpion, Prince of Wales,
John, Stromboli, Good Hope, Falmouth and the Hunter.
The British had other prisons also; The Mill Prison at Plymouth, Forton Prison at Portsmouth,
Halifax Prison at Nova Scotia and the Antiqua in the West Indies.
| Prince of Wales
(Hired cutter) 1799 Lieut. J. HIGGINSON, Cork.
|Prince of Wales (Hired cutter) 1811 Lieut. SOUTHCOTT, North Sea. Off the Dogger Bank on 11 December he captured the French privateer cutter ANACHREON (formally the CARRIER cutter) after a chase during which she threw all her guns overboard in her attempts to escape. She was 24 days out of Groningen without making any captures.|
|Prince of Wales (96) 1794 Portsmouth. BU 1822|
|1795||Capt. J. BAZELY with Rear Ad. HARVEY's flag.|
|Dec 1796||Capt. J. HARVEY|
|April 1797||Capt. T. HARVEY|
|January 1798||Capt. R. BROWN|
|June 1799||Capt. A. RENOU|
|November 1799||Rear-Ad. Lord Hugh SEYMOUR's flag. West Indies.|
|180O Capt. PROWSE||Channel fleet|
|April 1801||She was at Martinique with INVINCIBLE, UNITE and DIANA as flagship of Sir Robert CALDER. She returned to Portsmouth on 4 June and sailed to join the Channel fleet on the 13th|
|24 January 1802||Came into Plymouth from Torbay to be paid. Three days later she received orders to take on an extra quantity of provisions before returning to Torbay|
|1803||Capt. John GIFFARD, fitting at Portsmouth|
|1804||Capt. W. CUMING, flagship of Rear Ad. Sir Robert CALDER off Rochefort|
|1805||Off Cadiz. At noon on 22 July 1805, some 100 miles off Finisterre, Sir Robert sighted the combined fleets of France and Spain consisting of 20 sail-of-the-line, 5 frigates, 3 brigs and 2 large ships armed en flute. His own force consisted of 15 ships-of-the-line, 2 frigates, a cutter and a lugger. He immediately stood towards them making the signals for close order battle. When he reached the rear he tacked his ships in succession to attack the centre of the line but the enemy also tacked and he had to repeat the manoeuvre. The resulting action lasted more than four hours and was fought in a thick fog which made signalling between ships impossible, otherwise the victory would have been more complete. Two ships, ST. RAPHAEL,84, and FIRME,74, were captured and it was believed that the enemy ships which escaped suffered badly. The British squadron lost 199 casualties of which PRINCE of WALES had 3 killed and 20 wounded|
|1806|| Flagship of Rear Ad. Edward THORNBROUGH off
Rochefort. On 16 July 1806 the boats of the squadron off Rochefort took part in an attack on two French corvettes and a convoy in the mouth of the Bordeaux river. The largest escot, CAESAR,18, was boarded and carried. The boat from PRINCE OF WALES was commanded by Lieut. FRANCIS and lost one able seaman, David PARRY, was killed and six seamen and marines were
During the evening of 11 October 1806 a dispute arose between Mr ARMSTRONG, midshipman of the PRINCE OF WALES, and a Mr LONG, midshipman of the RESISTANCE, at a common hop in Pembroke Street, Plymouth. High words arose when the former wanted to put out the lights while the latter was dancing with his girl. They adjourned to an inn and a challenge was agreed. At half-past eight the following morning the two met by the Obelisk at Mount Edgecombe and Mr LONG was killed by a shot which entered his right side. His second, a midshipman of MONARCH left him and returned to Plymouth Dock with Mr ARMSTRONG and his second, Mr WELLS. The body was not discovered until the afternoon
|1807||Capt. W. BEDFORD, Channel fleet. Ad. James GAMBIER's flagship in the Baltic. On the evening of 15 August he arrived off Wibeck, a village half way between Copenhagen and Elsinore, and the army under Lord Cathcart was disembarked from the transports there the next morning|
|1811||Capt. John Eskin DOUGLAS, Spithead. 1814 Mediterranean, where she formed part of Lord EXMOUTH's fleet at the surrender of Genoa in April. Vice Ad. PELLEW sailed from Toulon with CALEDONIA, BOYNE, UNION, PRINCE OF WALES and PEMBROKE and they arrived off Genoa on the morning of the 17th as the army moved forward to attack the garrison in the town|
|1815||Out of commission at Portsmouth|
A HMS Prince of Wales took part in the Battle of Trafalgar on 21st October 1805.
She carried 98 Guns, and was commanded by Captain Richard Grindall.
Much more information about the battle on this website
1819-22 a Lieutenant Franklin made a perilous land and river journey
from Hudson Bay to the Coppermine River in the company of Midshipmen
George Back, and Richard Hood, Dr John Richardson, a naval surgeon, two
sailors, John Hepburn and Samuel Wilkes, and four Orkney boatmen. The
purpose of the expedition was to determine the exact position of the
mouth of the river and map the shore of the Polar Sea to the eastward.
They sailed from Gravesend in the Prince of Wales on 23 May 1819 and, after being nearly wrecked on Resolution Island, reached York Factory, the principal depot of the Hudson`s Bay Company, at the mouth of the Nelson River in Manitoba, on 31 August.
John Franklin later attempted to find the North West Passage in 1845,
and was never seen again their expedition ships were last seen by the
crew of the whaling ships Prince of Wales and the Enterprise. They
sighted Franklin's expedition tied to massive ice floats and Captain
Dannet of the Prince of Wales invited Franklin aboard.
Captain Robert Martin of the Enterprise noted in his journals
that Franklin's crews were in high spirits and that Franklin himself
talked of having adequate provisions for five years that could, with
care last for seven. Never
again would the crews of Erebus and Terror see men from the civilised
See this website for more information
|Prince of Wales||
|Duke of Wellington Class|
|Launched: January 1860||Dimensions:210' x 60' x 24' 8"||Machinery: 1 -shaft Penn engine 3352 ihp 12.6 knots|
|Complement: 1100||Notes 1869: Renamed TS Britannia (Dartmouth), 1909: Hulked, 1914: Sold for scrapping.|
From this website
Prince of Wales Paddle Steamer
Isle of Man Douglas 1902
|Prince of Wales||
|Launched: Built at Chatham dockyard, laid down in March 1901, Launched in March 1902, Commissioned March 1904||15000 tons. Crew Complement: 780||Dimensions: 431' 9" x 75' x 26' 10"|
20 boilers Greenock Foundry engines 15000 ihp 18.0 knots
|Armament: 4 x 12" BL, 12 x 6" QF, 16 x 12 pdr. QF, 6 x, 3 pdr. QF, 4 x 18" TT||Protection:
Gunhouses: 8" - 10"
Barbettes: 6" - 12"
Bulkheads: 9" - 12"
|Served mainly in Mediterranean||from 1904-07|
|transferred to Atlantic and Home Fleets||until 1912|
|joined 5th battleship squadron||in 1912 until 1914|
|joined Dardanelles operation||1915|
|blockaded Austrian Fleet||until 1918|
|sold and scrapped.||1920|
|HMS Prince of Wales||King George V class Battleship|
|Launched 3rd May 1939||Sunk 10th December 1941|
|There is much more information about our particular HMS Prince of Wales on our dedicated page here|